JOB DESCRIPTION – DANCEWORKS
GENERAL MANAGER (Part-time) – 20 hrs/week, salaried position
Closing date for applications: June 8, 2020
Start date: July 6, 2020
Salaried position – $21,000 – $23,000, annually, commensurate with experience
Be part of the team that manages today, and builds a future for DanceWorks, Toronto’s leading presenter of independent dance. Strong in the belief that dance has the power to illuminate, engage and transform all who participate, DanceWorks offers seasons of eclectic, exhilarating choreography programmed to intrigue, challenge and enthrall.
The GM works with the Dance Curator and Board of Directors to implement the artistic vision of the organization as conceived by the Dance Curator. They manage all administrative staff as well as contractors.
The GM manages the operations at DanceWorks including budgeting, fundraising, marketing, community and funder relations, long-term planning, sponsorships and event coordination. They work collaboratively, cooperatively and respectfully with all staff and contractors, to facilitate timely decision-making, and to foster a creative, productive, safe and equitable work environment. In addition to the skills listed below, they should bring creativity and an enthusiasm for the work, as well as vision and commitment to the future of DanceWorks and its reputation locally and nationally. The position requires some evening and weekend work.
The key aspects of this role which will focus on financial oversight, marketing/fundraising and digital engagement are:
– Financial and grant management as well as multi-year budgeting for presentation seasons;
– Leadership and management of special initiatives and business development as identified in DanceWorks’ strategic plan;
– Building the organization’s resource base, through grants and donor development, as well as organizational partnerships that will further DanceWorks’ strategic goals;
– Develop branding to consolidate and enhance marketing and communications;
– Enable DanceWorks to reach a wider audience through new digital presentation and distribution strategies;
– Advise on, develop, implement, and oversee strategic and operational plans;
– Maintain effective systems for DanceWorks’ management, operations and program delivery;
– Liaise with Board of Directors
Skills and Experience
– self-directed/takes initiative
– proven ability to manage multiple projects and/or deadlines, as well as changing priorities
– experience in the non-profit sector, working with artists, and a volunteer board of directors
– office management and experience including financial operations
– effective communicator in various media, and strong customer relations skills
– proficient computer skills, with thorough knowledge of Windows Office, Outlook, MS Word, Excel, Adobe Reader, Filemaker Pro database and familiarity with accounting systems
– experience with digital marketing, including social networking, e-newsletter preparation and delivery, i.e. MailChimp or similar platform.
Submit letter of interest together with CV to Hiring Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org
DanceWorks is a non-profit registered charitable organization and has in place a policy of anti-racism, access and equity. DanceWorks is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome. We encourage submissions from members of all equity seeking groups, including candidates of Indigenous backgrounds, all genders, races, ethnicities and people with disabilities. We thank all applicants for their interest, however we will only contact those selected for an interview.
To learn more, visit our website www.danceworks.ca or follow us on social media: Facebook @DanceWorksTO and Instagram @danceworksto.